Cycling as you may be familiar is not a very used means of commute in the cities. People have their reasons for it, but you must be well versed with the fact that cycling is one of the best exercises for your body and makes travelling much more fun, exciting and unique than the other modes of commute. In short, let us assure you that cycling is the new trend! While you debate against yourself on the fact whether cycling is the ideal mode of transportation for short distance commute or not, if it can help you beat the heavy traffic or not, the answer is ‘yes’. It will help you beat the heavy congestion on the roads with ease and buy you a significant amount of time. We are here to provide you with 5 very practical tips you can use to cycle in the city during peak hours.
- Be smooth: While it is true that cycling is fun and exciting, but it is very necessary to keep your adrenaline in check while you ride in roads with heavy congestion. Never forget your childhood lesson that slow and steady wins the race. While in traffic never rush, look for the gaps. Keep your pace in check and be steady to move into the gaps and cut the traffic and use your street smartness to create your escape route.
- Do not wear headphones: The last thing you would want is to get involved in an accident in a heavy traffic jam. So to ensure that always be alert and keep eyes wide open to the surroundings. But most importantly, try avoiding wearing headphones while riding your bicycle. The headphones sure are the new trend and listening songs might relax you, but using a headphone while taking a ride definitely reduces your safety quotient on street. The noise cancellation device will put your life in danger if used while riding a bicycle by keeping you in shadow to all the vehicles around you. Noises are also necessary!
- Know your location in the crowd: It is very important to be aware of the location you are in while riding and take note of the vehicles around you. Look out for the vehicles coming from behind, but at the same time you need to pay attention to the vehicles in front. Never take your eyes away from the indicators of the vehicles in front. Be sure of the route you want to travel and use your hand to indicate a change in direction you wish to undertake during a ride to the vehicles behind you. While you are on your ride, be smart enough to change lanes to move forward earlier and travel faster whenever you find sufficient space between vehicles.
- Stay clear from the divider: Always be clever enough to ride on the left side of the road while travelling northwards. In areas of high congestion on roads, people always tend to get irritated and are in a hurry to leave as soon as possible and that often leads to reckless driving. The safest option is to keep to your left side of the road and travel and thus avoid the worry of the vehicle in front taking a sudden U-turn. Your safety is assured!
- Cover your brakes: When there is heavy congestion on roads, it becomes pretty difficult for the vehicles to pass and as a result everyone will be in search for an opportunity or a gap to occupy. While you must use your street smartness to cover the gaps steadily in traffic and make your way forward, always use both your hands to cover the brakes. During peak traffic, you may need to make a move and immediately may need to stop again and again, and for the sake of safety it is always better to have a grip on the brakes and be clear of the doors of the vehicles being flung open suddenly.
Take note of all the above mentioned tips, and you are ready to face the challenge of cycling in a city. While you plan to take up the new trend of cycling for commutation, Yulu is here at your service to help you with your plans. Yulu provides cycles at very affordable rates to help you in your ride. Scan and rent cycles using the Yulu app and do not let the peak hours of traffic discourage you from taking up cycling as a mode of commutation.